Thursday, December 9, 2010

Roots

Well, its been a while since I posted anything but I got into a Pokemon craze with the help of some family members and decided to draw my favorite starter Pokemon from Pokemon Red, Bulbasaur.

Long gone are my days of Pokemon bliss. I could spend the better part of a few days trying to get the perfect Eevee, raise Pokemon champions in an hour at tournaments, and I am still convinced that in the summer of 1998 my friends and I were the first to exploit and understand the "box trick." That's right, my Mewtwo (long live Generation I!!!) is faster than yours and I didn't cheat.... technically.

I drew a small sketch and inked it but with no scanner available I opted to take a picture of it with our camera and edit it in Photoshop. It didn't take very long to draw. The inking is harder and I can never seem to get the smooth, flowing line I want, I'll have to work on that.

I love Bulbasaur partly because of his mild manner-ness. His Clark Kent qualities were apparent as he made short work of everyone early in the game while retaining his cute and quiet nature; a silent guardian type. It was always hard for me to watch him evolve at level 16... like he was losing his innocence.

There is no doubt that the Internet is full of cute big-eyed Bulbasaurs and I wanted to bring out more of his defensive and hostile (when aggravated) attitude. So I bring you this "Unleashed" version.
Picture yourself, an inexperienced, weak, over excited, little trainer, cowering behind him as you begin your journey in Kanto... damn Zubats!

1 comment: