Sunday, August 30, 2009

Technical Training

Alrighty, Meg has been doing more than a good job of keeping people posted here. I guess it is time for me to pick it up.

I have been at Keesler AFB for almost a week now and I guess I should let you know what it is like here. People told me it would be hotter and more wet but it is actually really nice right now. There is much more green and everything looks well kept. I live on a part of the base known as the Triangle. There are 8 or 9, three story dormitories surrounding a courtyard. Each Dormitory floor is divided into bays and there are about 20 rooms in a bay with 2 students to a room. So we are looking at about 2880 to 3240 students year round. That doesn't include Prior Service members (members of the Air force who are being retrained) who are housed off base.

This last week we spent most of our time in briefings and settling in to our rooms. My roommate's name is Simmons, is 21 and is in phase 3 (I will explain phases in a minute). When I first got to the dorm I opened the door and there were 2 Airmen, one was my roommate, wrestling on the floor in civilian clothes. They stopped briefly to introduce themselves and then continued. Later we shared a little about ourselves and I let him know that I was Mormon (no one in the south knows us by LDS or The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints). On his own he is a really cool guy. He disappeared this weekend going to parties and getting wasted like many others but he tries to understand me and respects my space so I am not complaining.

Phases! There are three of them here. Each phase is 2 weeks long and grants us increased liberties. The program is designed to help us transition from BMT living to life in the operational Air Force.

Phase 1 restricts students to base freedoms and they must wear their uniforms on and off duty. The curfew is 10 pm and no electronic devices can be outside of the dormitory. That said, uniforms and electronics can be used inside the dorm. I put my civilian pants on for the first time in 9 weeks and they just about fell off... sweet.

Phase 2 allows students to go off base but they must be in their Blues uniform. Civilian clothes can also be worn outside the dormitory but are restricted to the base. In this phase electronics can be worn while not in uniform and the curfew changes to 12 am

Phase 3 allows students to go off base in civilian clothes and there is no curfew.

The goal is for each member to maintain their military Bearing and customs and courtesies as they interact with all types of people on and off base. Once an Airman, always an Airman, in all places and at all times. So it may seem like 2 weeks is a short period of time but at anytime an MTL (Military Training Leader) can take those liberties away and more. There are many Airmen who have been reduced to phase one or have even been put through RMT (Remedial Military Training). It would seem that many students have lost their earned liberties but I am confident that it isn't hard for a student with a mature attitude and a little common sense to get through without worry.

The Wing Commander and Command Chief came and talked to us this past week and gave us a few facts on Keesler and insights on the Air force in general:
  1. The 81st Training Wing, at Keesler, is the largest training wing in the Air force.
  2. "Only 1% of all Americans become Airmen in the United States Air Force... Those are the United States citizens who enlist, complete basic military training and successfully graduate from tech school... You are truly second to none."
  3. "The Army is our mother service and for that we are grateful. They cover the ground. The navy, marines & coast guard cover the sea. That is about 70% water. Last time I checked the world was surrounded by what? ...Air! So I guess we have it all covered. And again, not to be rude but we are capable of and can win a war faster than any other service... What is our mission? ...to blow crap up!"
  4. If you plan on being in the service for 20 years then there is no reason that you shouldn't earn a Master's Degree. On average the Air Force enlisted member has more education than an officer.
  5. With the new "Post 9-11 GI Bill" members receive up to 100% tuition and fee coverage,
    up to $1000 a year for books and Supplies, a one time relocation allowance, and the option to transfer benefits to Family Members.

That last one is really cool. That means Megan and I can both go to school with very little out of pocket expenses. Of course there are eligibility requirements for 100% coverage but anything is better than nothing.

Lastly I'll just summarize what will happen in this week to come. I will be starting my classes, start attending church activities, start a fitness program, and start my application and probation in the White Rope program (I will explain this next week).

Have a good week and I will talk to you soon!!!

Amn Christopher Wade Clark

United States Air Force

Keesler AFB, MS

2 comments:

  1. Yay for communication! Even though it is only in your dorm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The communication you get now must seem like a luxury compared to what you had before. I'm happy for that for both you and Meg.
    The airforce and all of the training and opportunities you get sounds awesome. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete