Sunday, September 6, 2009

Here we are at the end of Week 2. We are on lock down. Church starts at 1400 and it is currently 1310. The severe weather ( a lot of rain and some lightning is keeping us from going outside too much.
I will make the most of it and give you a good post. Let's see... we started school. So we get up at 4 am on Monday, we are all formed up at 5 to go to school and when we finally get there we are told that school didn't start until Tuesday so we marched back to the Dormitory and changed out of our blues (we wear blues every Monday in the Air Force unless our job that day required us to wear ABUs) to go to AFI (Awaiting Further Instruction.) So while an Airman is on AFi they are waiting to be tasked with something menial to do. They made us walk around the building for 45 minutes picking up trash and then we spent 2 hours cleaning hallways and dayrooms. So imagine 40 young men in the 20s picking up trash and cleaning halls that are cleaned everyday anyway... Yeah... um we are all getting paid regardless of what we are doing so I guess I should be grateful they didn't try to find us anything harder to do. Well after lunch they sent 4 of us halfway across vase to help people move furniture for an hour. It took us longer to walk there and back than to do the work they wanted us to do. Needless to say Monday was long and we were glad when we were finally released for the day.

Ok, our first day of school... it was good. A lot less oppressive than I thought it would be. The teacher is a civilian and she has a really upbeat attitude. We spent the first day getting to know each other and going over class rules. On Wednesday when we actually started to work I was surprised to find myself a whole day ahead of everyone else in my class. I didn't even feel like I worked very hard. The whole course is split into 5 blocks or divisions and I have decided that block 1 is really easy. Our block test in on the 10th and I should have all my chapters and bookwork done by tomorrow. I haven't had too much time on this 4 day weekend to study. I have been busy working with the student leaders over in the "fishbowl" everyday.

The Fishbowl Student Ministry Center and the white rope program are pretty cool. Especially for those who are still in their first phase here on base. I started working in the White Rope program on Thursday and have been working one 3+ hours shift every day since. The mission of the Fishbowl is to provide a place for students to gather in a safe environment and relax from the stresses of school. The whole program is built on four pillars; Spiritual Formation, Authentic Community, Leadership Development and service opportunities. To serve, that is what we do as white ropes. There are many things the Airmen can do from playing X-box on the big screen to playing any musical instruments we have to offer. This week we have watched more movies than I care to see but watching people play the instruments is fun. The program here at Keesler AFB is run by the Chaplains and is the first and oldest organization of its kind in the Air Force.

Another Airman and I are running everyday to try and keep in shape. It has now been 3 1/2 weeks since we have been on a serious workout program and when we get hit with PT testing a few of us actually want to pass. So hopefully and weight I gain will be muscle. Then I can play some more sporty stuff with the sporty people like Jason and Tyler.

That's about it for now. I will be sure to update everyone on my current business venture in my next post.

Have a good week

No comments:

Post a Comment